Foam Chimney Sweeping Blocks
When cleaning fireplaces or stoves, many professionals choose to use custom cut foam blocks to cover the openings. This helps to prevent soot and dust from entering the room throughout the sweeping process. As a foam conversion specialist, we offer a wide range of foams that can be ordered to the size and shape you need.
Chimney Foam Block Sizes
Because not all chimney and stove openings are the same size, it’s a good idea to invest in a range of foam blocks cut to various shapes and sizes. This will help to cover a wider range of openings, ensuring that you will be able to properly plug the opening whilst cleaning.
Conveniently, our website allows you to order foam blocks cut to size and shape. You can specify the exact size of foam blocks you need for chimney openings. We also have a shape template for cylindrical bungs if you also require them.
What Sizes to Order
The Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps has put together a collection of their recommended foam chimney block sizes. Of course, with our website, you’re free to order whatever size you feel you need. If unsure though, you may find these recommendations useful.
The Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps recommends the following (they recommend cutting blocks down to size yourself. However, in most cases, we can do this for you. Simply order the appropriate shape through our foam cut to size calculator):
- 1 block of foam (23 x 18 x 8 inches) – using an appropriate tool, cut into the foam from the top to approximately halfway down.
- 2 blocks of foam (23 x 9 x 8 inches) – repeat the previous step but make the cut lengthways for each.
- 2 blocks of foam (18 x 9 x 8 inches) – useful for stoves and small openings.
- 3 blocks of foam (23 x 6 x 4 inches) – retain the shape for one block. Cut one block down to 20 inches and one block down to 18 inches. You could keep the offcuts for miscellaneous fillers.
- 3 blocks of foam (cut to size as in previous steps).
- 1 block of foam 17 x 10 x 5 inches (used for access hatches). Cut into two pieces measuring 10 x 10 x 5 and 10 x 7 x 5 inches. For the square piece, make a diagonal cut from a corner to the centre. For the rectangular piece, make a longways cut from the short side to the middle.
- As for kneeling, you can also use a piece of foam. Our closed cell foam makes for effective kneeling pads.
Cutting Foam Blocks to Size at Home
Some people choose to cut their own foam down to size. It may be that you want to repurpose a foam block that you’ve ordered from us for another cleaning project with a different size opening. Most people don’t have access to proper foam cutting equipment but there are a couple of tools that may help to produce the results you need.
Many people find that an electric bread knife can produce adequate results when attempting to cut foam at home. You could also use a regular bread knife if you only have this to hand. When using any sharp instruments, you should always take all necessary safety precautions.
Ordering Custom Cut Chimney Foam Blocks
To order cut to size foam online, you’ll need to start by choosing an appropriate shape from our selection of templates. We have 25 shapes to choose from including a custom option if you need a different shape.
After a shape has been chosen, input your required measurements. You can then select a type of foam for us to use to make your chimney foam blocks. After this, all you need to do is select no additions and finalise your order details.
Start by choosing one of the shapes below or visit the GB Foam homepage to see all of the shapes we have to offer.
If you have any questions about our services or products, you are always welcome to contact us directly. You can also call us on 01494 441177 during business hours.